Hiccups are a common nuisance which we all have faced at some point of time or face often. Hiccups cause great embarrassment. Hiccups may be defined as the ‘hic’ sound originating from throat,Hiccups Causes and Natural Home Remedies Articles when the space between vocal cords continue to snap and shut impeding the inflow of air. This occurs in response to the involuntary spasmodic contraction of diaphragm, a muscular belt separating chest and stomach.
The nerves extending from neck down to chest become irritated and trigger the spasm of diaphragm. The hic sound emanated due to the above phenomenon is associated with the jerky movement of breath. Hiccup sound is rhythmic, continuous and may last for few seconds or minutes. However for some, it may continue for a day or two and even weeks. One need not worry too much about hiccups, for it is a minor problem that resolves on its own. But in rare cases, hiccups may signal some serious underlying ailment. The causes of hiccups may be listed as follows:
1. Eating too much
2. Eating too fast and swallowing air along with food.
3. Excessive eating of hot and spicy food
4. Excessive drinking of alcohol
5. Drinking too much of carbonated beverages.
7. Over-stretching of neck
12. Irritation of eardrum
15. General anesthesia
16. Kidney problems
17. Liver diseases
18. Lung infection
19. Abdominal surgery
20. Sudden excitement
21. Medications like that of acid reflux, nicotine drugs etc.
22. Inhaling of noxious fumes.
Home Remedies for Hiccups
1. Add a pinch of salt to a bowl of yoghurt and consume to get rid of hiccups.
2. Consume a spoonful of peanut butter to arrest hiccups.
3. Taking fresh pineapple juice at Cheri Honnas regular intervals helps to prevent hiccups.
4. Suck a slice of lemon. The sour taste of lemon soothes irritated nerves and ends hiccups.
5. Drink soda water in a gulp to get relief from hiccups.
6. Suck slowly a tablespoon of sugar to end hiccups immediately.
7. Suck crushed ice and get quick relief from hiccups.
8. Sipping ice water slowly stops hiccup.
9. Seize your breath to put an end to hiccups.
10. Putting ice bag on diaphragm stops hiccups.
11. Tickle throat with a cotton swab and put an ending to recurrent hiccups.
12. Gargle with water. This is a simple hiccup remedy.
13. Add half teaspoon cardamom powder to 2 cups of water. Sieve and drink the warm water to get relief from hiccups.
14. Inhaling of black pepper triggers sneezing and thus causes hiccups to vanish.
15. Suck a small ginger piece to stop hiccups.
16. Drinking 1 ounce of white vinegar solves hiccup problem.
17. Swallow a mixture of half teaspoon mustard seeds and half teaspoon pure ghee. This is an effective home remedy for hiccups.